Our School is a ‘Safer School’
West Mercia Police and Shropshire Council support our school with the Safer School initiative, We are an accredited ‘Safer School’ and proud of our Safer School Sign and Certificate. This accreditation is reviewed every two years.
The initiative is a holistic, practical and realistic approach to school security and personal safety. It gives our school a clear focus on the subject and turns a negative subject into a positive one. It sets a minimum standard for school security.
The essential elements of the ‘Safer School’ process include:-
- Consulting parents/carers and pupils for their views and updating them on progress.
- Publicity of Safer Schools to school staff, pupils, parents and prospective parents.
- Establishing a Safer School Group. The Safer School Group is a partnership of school stakeholder – staff, governors, parents, pupils, Shropshire Council and West Mercia Police.
- Regularly reviewing and implementing good practice and essential security/safety measures for staff, pupils, the site and assets.
- Educating pupils through the Personal, Social Heath and Economic curriculum programme.
- A daily procedure for recording incidents should they occur i.e. trespass, theft, anti-social behaviour, vandalism, suspicious activity etc. both during school hours and out of hours.
- Solving real problems rather than perceived problems. Prioritising work (if any) and reviewing action.
- If there are security issues i.e.vandalism, anti-social behaviour etc, the intention of the initiative is to reduce/eliminate the issues.