Our School is a ‘Safer School’
The initiative is a holistic, practical and realistic approach to school security and personal safety. It gives our school a clear focus on the subject and turns a negative subject into a positive one. It sets a minimum standard for school security.
The essential elements of the ‘Safer School’ process include:-
- Consulting parents/carers and pupils for their views and updating them on progress.
- Publicity of Safer Schools to school staff, pupils, parents and prospective parents.
- Establishing a Safer School Group. The Safer School Group is a partnership of school stakeholders – staff, governors, parents, pupils, Shropshire Council and West Mercia Police.
- Regularly reviewing and implementing good practice and essential security/safety measures for staff, pupils, the site and assets.
- Educating pupils through the Personal, Social Heath and Economic curriculum programme.
- A daily procedure for recording incidents should they occur i.e. trespass, theft, anti-social behaviour, vandalism, suspicious activity etc. both during school hours and out of hours.
- Solving real problems rather than perceived problems. Prioritising work (if any) and reviewing action.
- If there are security issues i.e. vandalism, anti-social behaviour etc, the intention of the initiative is to reduce/eliminate the issues.