What catch-up funding is for
The government announced £1 billion of funding to support children and young people to catch up lost time after school closure.
School allocations will be calculated on a per pupil basis.
Mainstream school will get £80 for each pupil in from reception to year 11 inclusive.
Using catch-up funding
Schools should use this funding for specific activities to support their pupils to catch up for lost teaching over the previous months, in line with the curriculum expectations for the next academic year in actions for schools during the coronavirus outbreak.
While schools can use their funding in a way that suits their cohort and circumstances, they are expected to use this funding for specific activities which will help pupils catch up on missed education.
- Quality First Teaching supported by CPD for teachers and support staff.
- Develop assessment and feedback systems to ensure gaps in knowledge are identified and addressed
- Introduce new web based systems to support the quality of teaching and learning.
- A broad and engaging curriculum.
- Frequent low-stakes testing to ensure all students, and in particular disadvantaged students, experience success and celebrate the acquisition of knowledge.
- Maintain our existing CPD focus on teaching and learning strategies to develop pupils’ long term memory.
- Develop a remote education programme that will ensure all students have access to high quality learning throughout any school closures.
Targeted academic support
- Expectation that all vulnerable learners in school full-time, experiencing quality first teaching and support
- Purchase new equipment to enable online tutoring sessions in school
- National Tutoring Programme offered to identified pupils
- 1:1 online tutoring offered to identified pupils
- Small group intervention in school for identified pupils
- Provide ongoing technical support for pupils and families
- Ensure our most vulnerable pupils have priority access to classroom teaching and online materials
- Ensure pastoral staff contact home for disadvantaged students where there barriers to engagement
- Ensure that where possible pupils have an IT device to access video home learning and Office 365